Sleep Apnea May Increase Risk Of Developing Alzheimer's Disease
New study finds obstructive sleep apnea may put elderly people at greater risk of developing
Dr. Raj Kakar is a member of the Baylor Quality Alliance.
The American Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM) has launched Sleepeducation.com, a new patient education website. The website provides current, topical content about sleep disorders and disease management, as well as videos that offer additional information on important patient-oriented topics. Learn More
See Dr. Kakar's recent appearance on ABC's Hot On! Health & Beauty.
Dr. Kakar has been interviewed by CNN, Dallas Morning News, CBS 11 News in D/FW, National Sleep Foundation, and Hot On! Health & Beauty.
Why we're sleeping less - read full story on CNN
Dallas Sleep was named #4 in the country (Small Business Category), in the Dave Thomas Foundation's 2010 Best Adoption Friendly Workplaces.
Did you know that children with sleep disorders are more likely to develop ADHD? Read on.
When should I see a doctor for my insomnia?
Learn more about the real health risks associated with sleep apnea.
As a harbinger of widespread pain, poor sleep stands out.
- Kakar RS. Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Cardiovascular Consequences, and Treatment Options.
Jan 2008 — Download Article (PDF file)
- Kakar RS. Restless Legs Syndrome. Jan 2008 — Download Article (PDF file)
- Kakar RS. Sleep Disorders in Children: Under-Diagnosed and Under-Treated.
Jan 2008 — Download Article (PDF file)
- Kakar RS. Treatment for Chronic Insomnia. Jan 2008 — Download Article (PDF file)
- Kakar RS, Wincor MZ, Kushida CA. EXCESSIVE SLEEPINESS: Evaluation and Management. U.S. Pharmacist 2005; 1 (Supplement):2-16. — Download Article (PDF file)
- Kakar RS, Kushida CA. Ropinirole in the treatment of restless legs syndrome. Expert Rev Neurotherapeutics 2005; 5(1),35-42. — Download Article (PDF file)
- Laura A. Kakar, PA-C A Review of the Literature on Cardiovascular Outcomes of Various Treatment Options in Adults with Obstructive Sleep Apnea. — Download Article (PDF file)
- Punjabi NM, Beamer BA. C-reactive Protein is Associated With Sleep Disordered Breathing Independent of Adiposity. Sleep 2007; 30:29-34.
- Shahar E, Whitney CW, Redline S, Lee ET, Newman AB, Javier Nieto F, O’Connor GT, Boland LL, Schwartz JE, Samet JM. Sleep-disordered breathing and cardiovascular disease: cross-sectional results of the Sleep Heart Health Study. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2001; 163:19-25.
- Young T, Paltz M, Dempsey J, Skatrud J, Weber S, Badr S. The occurrence of sleep-disordered breathing among middle-aged adults. N Engl J Med 1993; 328:1230-1235.
- Peker Y, Hedner J, Kraicze H, Loth S. Respiratory disturbance index: an independent predictor of mortality in coronary artery disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2000; 162:81-86.
- Powell NB, Riley RW, Guilleminault C, Troell RJ. A reversible uvulopalatal flap for snoring and obstructive sleep apnea. Sleep 1996; 19:593-599.
- Pirelli P, Saponara M, Guilleminault C. Rapid maxillary expansion in children with obstructive sleep apnea syndrome. Sleep 2004; 27:761-766.
- Guilleminault C, Li KK. Maxillomandibular Expansion by Distraction Osteogenesis for the Treatment of Sleep-Disordered Breathing: Preliminary Results. Laryngoscope 2004; 114:893-896.
- Marcus CL, Greene MG, Carroll JL. Blood pressure in children with obstructive sleep apnea. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1998; 157:1098-1103.
- Gozal D. Sleep-disordered breathing and school performance in children.
Pediatrics 1998; 102:616-620.
- Chervin RD, Archbold KH. Hyperactivity and polysomnographic findings in children evaluated for sleep-disordered breathing. Sleep 2001; 24:313-320.
National Institutes of Health (NIH): National Center on Sleep Disorders Research
National Sleep Foundation
American Academy of Sleep Medicine
Restless Legs Syndrome Foundation
Narcolepsy Network, Inc.
The A.W.A.K.E. Network (Alert, Well, And Keeping Energetic)